No supplement or pill is going to cure or prevent COVID-19 at this time. What we need to do is be smart. Social distancing is important. They now believe that we need to be at least 13 feet away from people to prevent the spread of the virus. Also, if we are in the area of the virus, it can settle on our shoes. These also need to be cleaned. It is now being suggested that we wear masks wherever we go. Some stores will not let you in without a mask. We also need to keep our hands clean (washing with soap 20 seconds or more) and keep them away from our face.
Another important thing to keep in mind is to keep the immune system strong. Excessive sugar is never a good thing for anyone. Because most of us do not follow a good diet, in spite of what we think, taking quality supplements, along with eating fresh fruits and vegetables, will help boost the immune system. Some of the supplements recommended include the following:
- Vitamin D- It has been found that vitamin D may decrease the risk of respiratory infections. It has been suggested that people take 1000-5000 IUs per day. Those with major deficiencies will need to take more.
- Zinc- Zinc is helpful to the immune system. Zinc can prevent respiratory infections. A safe amount to take is 20-40 mgs. Too much zinc can affect copper absorption. Too much zinc can also cause nausea, vomiting, headaches, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and loss of appetite.
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C supports the immune system and is also an antioxidant. Taking vitamin C can decrease the time and severity of an infection. A recent study out of China found that those taking 1500 mgs/day had less severe symptoms of the COVID-19 infection. Vitamin C is best taken throughout the day and not all at one time.
- Selenium- This is an important mineral for immunity and it may enhance antiviral defense against influenza strains. It has antioxidant properties. You should not take more than 400 mcgs/day.
- Garlic- Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and antiviral properties. An excessive amount can cause liver issues.
- Curcumin- It is an anti-inflammatory and may help with the immune system.
- Colloidal Silver- It can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins. It is unknown exactly how it works, but it is believed that silver ions pass into germ cells where they interfere with the germ’s metabolic processes and damage its DNA. This leads to the cells death.
- Green Tea Extract- It is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. It helps the body fight respiratory and digestive infections such as influenza and diarrhea. Ingesting too much green tea can cause stomach problems, heartburn, diarrhea, headaches, palpitations and arrhythmia, anemia, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis. Someone with low caffeine tolerance will suffer these symptoms.
Stomach problems will occur from the high tannins that increase stomach acidity. This can cause nausea or constipation. Beware of this, green tea is not consumed on an empty stomach in Japan and China. Green tea decreases the absorption of iron in food. By adding lemon into the tea, it will increase iron absorption.
Headaches occur with those people who have chronic daily headaches. Because it has caffeine, it can cause anxiety, nervousness, and sleep issues. It can cause an irregular heart beat.
Caffeine increases acid in the stomach and can cause heartburn. Caffeine has a laxative effect.
Dizziness can occur because caffeine can decrease blood to the brain.
Caffeine can increase ringing in the ears.
Caffeine can increase the risk of bleeding.
Green tea extract supplements can affect liver damage. Drinking it can also increase the amount of calcium flushed out in the urine.
These are just a few of the things you can take and follow to protect yourself in these difficult times.